Date & Time: Monday, October 17, 2022 from 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Webinar Fee: $65
This Program is Online Only
CPCS approved 2.0 CLE credit hours for Adult Criminal Appeal, YAD, YAD Appeals, and Adult Criminal Trial panels.
Casey Silvia, Chief Staff Attorney, Massachusetts Appeals Court
Jamie Charles, Search Warrant Team Captain and Senior Appellate Counsel, Middlesex District Attorney’s Office
Gabriel Pell, Assistant Professor, New York School of Law
In recent years, digital evidence has become an increasingly important part of many criminal investigations, prosecutions, trials, and appeals, and the law in this area has been rapidly developing. It is essential for criminal practitioners to understand the technology at issue and the law as applied to that technology. This program will provide both a basic background in 4th Amendment law as applied in cases involving digital and cyber evidence, and an update of recent case law in the area. Join our panel of experts as they share their knowledge on this developing area of the law. Topics covered include:
- The background of the 4th Amendment as it relates to search and seizure of digital devices
- Particularity, nexus, and plain view as applied to cellular phones and other digital devices
- The development of the “Mosaic Theory” in Massachusetts
- Reasonable expectation of privacy in content shared with third parties
- Admissibility of digital evidence in criminal trials
- What’s next in cyber law: issues that may arise in the future
Online registration is encouraged. For assistance, questions on group discounts, accommodations requests, special billing, program content, out-of-state CLE credits, and general contact CLE Coordinator, Michael Saporito by email at email@example.com. Registrations accepted in order of receipt. Registration fees are non-refundable. Most Social Law Library CLE events are recorded and recordings are sent to all who are registered. The recording is available by digital download, generally within a week after the program date. CLE credit, when applicable, is only granted when the live webinar is attended.